Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Lost Books of The Odyssey

The Lost Books of the Odyssey


I began reading Homer last November, prompted by a nagging sense of obligation, and encouraged by the delusion that I would actually finish at least the Iliad before our trip to Turkey last December. It’s now April, and I have just turned the final page.




I hesitate however to say that I have actually read the books. Easily bored and possessing the attention span of a humming bird, I found that large sections were simply beyond my reach. So each time my nodding head banged against the table, I’d simply move on to the next chapter.

But I soon came to realize that this is a very different book from the one that I didn’t actually read 40 years ago. The words are the same but everything else about it has changed. I soon found myself reading and re-reading chapter after chapter, verse after verse, even going back to those sections that I’d skipped. It took almost six months, the entire living room and half the dining area to accomplish this. Flurries of pink and yellow sticky notes covered cabinets and furniture and the dog-eared and book-marked pages of Ovid’s Metamorphosis and Bullfinch’s Mythology in an attempt to sort out and understand the extraordinary perceptions on human existence that Homer uncannily elucidates as well as what Homer’s audience knew and took for granted everyday about the forces that shaped their lives and the world in which they lived.

I think we’re missing something - this intimate familiarity with gods and heroes. Their place in the lives of mortals provides structure and guidance, perspective and strength to our daily existence. We no longer walk with gods, nor they with us (with the exception of a few Republicans of course), nor do we engage in public discourse with them.  But we ignore them at our own peril.

As children of Abraham we’ve turned our backs, discarded and collectively scoffed at this pantheon of gods, fashioning instead the notion of monotheism. But once these multiple divinities are discarded along with their rivalries, their jealousies, fears, and petty schemes we separate ourselves from the divine and we fail to recognize the divine within our daily lives and the divine within ourselves. We are reduced to just Heaven and Earth - eternally separate. I think sometimes we are simply inadequate to the task of understanding the divine. By our nature we can barely understand ourselves.

Now that I’ve read this stuff of course, my view of the world is forever tainted. Has the Washington Press Corp misreported the facts or has Eris (Discord) once again appeared uninvited at a State Dinner at the White House? Are Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi actually running out of meaningless gestures to parade endlessly across the Capitol and in serious danger of actually having to accomplish something, or are Apollo and Athena once again squabbling and using the pair as playthings in yet another Olympian version of ‘As the World Turns’? Might we be less rancorous in our public discourse if the antics of Sarah Palin and Glen Beck were accepted more as immutable destiny (fate) and the convoluted alliances of the gods rather than purely as ill intent?  Or on a more intimate note; Have I personally done something to fall from the good graces of Mnemosyne? Would I remember if I had?


Homer’s stories are of course extraordinary. More so the older I get. But if I expected these pages to somehow provide a key to my understanding of my father, a classics scholar who would quote Homer at breakfast, Cicero at dinner, and Dante Alighieri each evening, what I found was something else. I did seem to stumble occasionally upon dusty bits and pieces of the road on which he must have traveled; I seemed to recognize a few signposts, places that he’d been, places that he’d talked about, the literary equivalent perhaps of his wonderful yet grainy, discolored, and faded 16mm movies of the Appian Way. It’s interesting that his words, spoken so many years ago have in the end guided me to extraordinary places that I would never have found on my own. What I found, as I should have expected, was a clearer picture of myself, rather than of him.